I am spending most of this lazy day uploading old photos to flickr. It get's me wondering if I will be able to look back on my life in 20 years via all these social technologies. I've been addicted to these online communities for some time and am constantly exploring new ones.
Here is a loose history.
- Compuserve - My dad had it for stock trades but I searched for info on space and astronauts
- BBS - I would wait for the new computer weekly to come out and dial up the cool new buliteen boards on my 28.8l modem. This was the first time I saw how this could be a real community and a way to meet unique people and get turned on to new ideas.
- Prodigy - This was my frist taste of the web but it kinda sucked and was to simplified
- The web - When we finally got a normal internet connection I spent hours the first night reading posts on the Bjork buliteen boards. This was the first place I made an online profile. I was a sad little crushed out bjork fanatic.
- Then there was a big gap, where the web was pretty one direction for me.
- Friendster - There was that time when you couldn't go to a party without someone talking about it.
- Many more