Penne Pasta with Red Pepper Sauce and Broccoli
« posted February 12, 2005 - 6:25pm »
This recipe is quickly becoming one of my favorite standby pasta dishes. It doesn't require too much prep and is seriously tasty. It manages to be a great cheese pasta without being too rich. From the Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons.
- Boil 1 lbs. of pasta until just tender.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Sauté 1 1/2 cups chopped onions for 5 min. or until soft. Lower heat and add 2 large garlic cloves minced as well as 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped (Great tutorial on how to cut red bell peppers). Cook for 15 minutes.
- Finely chop 1/4 cup whole raw almonds in a food processor. Add the cooked pepper and onion mix, 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Blend to a puree. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, some black pepper, and a little cayenne, then blend for a couple more seconds.
- Steam 4 cups of fresh broccoli florets.
- After you have drained the past return it, the broccoli, and the pepper puree to the big pot. Stir together, add 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup basil leaves cut into thin strips.
- Eat up!